Democracy Gone Astray

Democracy, being a human construct, needs to be thought of as directionality rather than an object. As such, to understand it requires not so much a description of existing structures and/or other related phenomena but a declaration of intentionality.
This blog aims at creating labeled lists of published infringements of such intentionality, of points in time where democracy strays from its intended directionality. In addition to outright infringements, this blog also collects important contemporary information and/or discussions that impact our socio-political landscape.

All the posts here were published in the electronic media – main-stream as well as fringe, and maintain links to the original texts.

[NOTE: Due to changes I haven't caught on time in the blogging software, all of the 'Original Article' links were nullified between September 11, 2012 and December 11, 2012. My apologies.]

Friday, February 08, 2013

John Brennan Refuses To Say Whether Waterboarding Is Torture

CIA nominee John Brennan refused to say whether he believes the controversial practice of waterboarding constitutes torture, insisting he is not a legal scholar and therefore cannot answer the question.

"I have a personal opinion that waterboarding is reprehensible and should not be done," Brennan told Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), when asked whether he personally believes it is torture. "And again, I am not a lawyer, Senator, and I can't address that question."

As Brennan pointed out, however, the position of the Obama administration is that waterboarding is torture; both President Barack Obama and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder have made clear that they believe it is.

But when Levin asked Brennan if he personally agrees with that position, the nominee declined to take a position:

    LEVIN: Well, you've read opinions as to whether or not waterboarding is torture. And I'm just asking, do you accept those opinions of the attorney general? That's my question.

    BRENNAN: Senator, I've read a lot of legal opinions. I read an Office of Legal Counsel opinion from the previous administration that said waterboarding could be used. So from the standpoint of that, I can't point to a single legal document on the issue. But as far as I'm concerned, waterboarding is something that never should have been employed, and as far as I'm concerned, never will be if I have anything to do with it.

    LEVIN: Is waterboarding banned by the Geneva Conventions?

    BRENNAN: I believe the attorney general also has said it's contrary and in contravention of the Geneva Convention. Again, I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar to make the determination as to what's in violation of an international convention.

Original Article
Source: huffingtonpost.com
Author: Amanda Terkel

No comments:

Post a Comment